Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Umbrella, The Sword and the Magic Glass

Today the weather was absolutely beautiful. It got up to 74 degrees, so the kids played outside all afternoon. It was a great day for so many reasons. I have lots to share about some of the things that have happened this week, but I want to wait until I have more information and details to share a few of them. Just know that you must keep checking back for some exciting news I hope to tell soon. Also, God is speaking to me in themes this week. I haven't quite connected all the dots yet though, so I don' t have a complete picture of what God is trying to teach me... but I know it is coming. The event below just illustrates one of the things God has shown me this week.


Today, as I watched Mary Lyndsey playing outside, I noticed she had three things in her hands... treasures she had found in the garage also known as the "cave of wonders." The first was an umbrella. The second was a sword constructed of silver sprayed wooden paint sticks... an art project from a Vacation Bible School several years ago. In black letters along the side were the words "Sword of the Spirit". The third was a plastic toy she had gotten in a kid's meal. The toy was a sort of "magic glass." It came with some paper with secret messages and pictures on it you could only see by looking through the "magic glass."

Now at first glance you might consider this a hodge podge of toys. You may not think these three things had anything in common. Neither did I at first, but as I watched her run and play in the front yard, I felt the Spirit speak to my heart. 

"Look at her," He seemed to say. "You see those things she's carrying... You need those things too."

" What?" I shook my head. I didn't quite understand. 

"Those things she's carrying... you could use those things too."
 
As I looked at her selection of toys again, the message seemed to sink into my heart. 

You see I had only read a few post today. It was a really busy day so I only went some of my closest friend's blogs. I read Janet at Living Oak and she talked about the umbrella of God's protection. Then I read Kimberly at A Planting of the Lord and she talked about the importance of knowing God's Word to be able to fight our battle's against our enemy. And, I had been reminded of one some of my previous post on the Battle and the Battle continuing

As I considered these messages fresh in my mind, I began to understand what the Spirit was saying. 

I should never venture out without my umbrella... the umbrella of God's protection.
 
Psalm 5:11-12 But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those you love your name may rejoice in you. For surely, O LORD,  you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield. (NIV)

I should pray my eyes are opened to see the battle that is going on around me, the battle that may be hidden to to others. I need my "magic glass" to see the army the Lord has on my side.

2 Kings 6:15-17 When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army of horses and chariots had surrounded the city. "Oh, my lord, what shall we do?" the servant asked. "Don't be afraid," the prophet answered. "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them." And Elisha prayed, "O LORD, open his eyes so he may see." Then the LORD opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. (NIV)

And I should always be armed with God's Word, the Sword of the Spirit, my only defensive weapon against my enemy.

Ephesians 6:13-17 Therefore put on the full armor of God so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God," (NIV)

"So," I thought, "the Umbrella, the Sword and the Magic Glass... don't leave home without them."

10 comments:

Denise C said...

Amy,

I just read Kimberly's post as well....and I mentioned in my comment that.... everyday we all need to put on the "Full Armor" of GOD! And...here it is...in your post! God is definitely speaking to me in these messages you all are posting!!! I just love this connection we all share!!! Friends in the Lord are so very precious!!

....I also love Psalms 91...such a protective psalm...that I pray over my loved ones each day!

Sweet blessings to you dear friend!!!
Love,
Denise

ocean mommy said...

Oh Amy!! I LOVE this. This would be a great speaking topic, complete with the hands on illustrations!

Praying for you and can't wait to hear the good news!

stephanie

Melissa~ said...

Neat post. Don't you just love it when the Lord whispers things to your heart in the "everyday moments" like that?

M~
Pink Paper Peppermints

Janet Roller said...

Amy-
So sweet. As tender as little ML is...she was ready for battle with the "sword" she had. She is fortunate to have parents who teach her about the true sword so she is equipt for life's battle.
You're doing a great job, Mom.
_Janet

Cheri said...

What a huge thing you could have missed if you hadn't taken the time to watch ML and listen to the Spirit.

Denise is right, I think God is definitely speaking to us women in these posts.

Just to be completely honest here...I never think about putting on the armor of God. It just doesn't cross my mind, until now, of course!! :)

I'm going to study this during my sons naptime. Thanks!

Kimberly said...

Isn't He amazing? Isn't He awesome! He is EVRYWHERE! :) Even in the play of our children.
I LOVE this post, Amy. Love it!
It is a precious and tender picture that I am going to tuck in my heart!
You are a treasure, friend.
:)

Jenny said...

I agree that would be a great topic to speak on!

I can't wait to hear your news,
Have a great weekend!
Jen

Nadine said...

I love it when God speaks to us in the everyday. It's a good thing you were listening. I really enjoyed reading this post. Thank you for sharing from your heart.

Ceci G. said...

I loved your thoughts today! Isn't it awesome how God puts things in our lives to teach us??? I can't wait for "Then Sings My Soul" tomorrow...and I'm considering what I'm going to write on this week. It's been an odd week for me--my first SAHM week in over five years, and I've been unable to be sure that I've been a constructive user of the time God has given me this week. I'm hoping that whatever He leads me to write about for tomorrow will make me feel better about my week!

Celly B said...

Wonderful post, Amy! I agree with Stephanie that this post would make a wonderful speaking topic!