Sunday, March 23, 2008

Miracle Mondays


Beth over at A Mom's Life hosts Miracle Mondays each week.  She asks if you have a miracle you would like to share, to write about it and link back to her so we can all read about each other's miracles. I don't have a specific miracle to write about today, like I did when I posted a few weeks ago about Spencer's healing at birth, but I want to talk more generally about miracles.  

Sometimes my family will sit around and have discussions about politics or religion. While many people wouldn't want to discuss these controversial topics, we happen to not shy away from them. They are often very amusing conversations. Sometimes we will play a sort of Bible Trivia game where we try to stump each other with some obscure fact from the Bible. 

Recently, my mother in law asked what was the last miracle Jesus performed. Without missing a beat I answered..."He stopped Spencer's seizure this morning so we didn't have to use his rescue medication." Now I'm sure she was referring to His actual last miracle recorded in the Bible (BTW... what would you say it is... Rising from the dead or  healing Malchus' ear?)

However when I answered her, I answered in the present tense. I never considered the last miracle He performed was 2,000 years ago when He walked the earth. You see I still believe He performs miracles today... everyday. We just have to look for them and accept them as miracles, not just some random happening that can be explained away. 

On Saturday Spencer had a seizure. It was different from his normal seizure because he was actually able to come and get me and he could still talk. As he has gotten older, his seizures are beginning to change. He didn't know what to do. We called his dad to come inside and we began to time the seizure. Spencer kept asking... "What do we do? It's not stopping but I don't want to use the rescue med." This was a totally new experience for us because Spencer is usually non-responsive when he is having a seizure. Then he said something I should have said out loud. "Let's pray Mom!" 

You see I was already praying in my head but not out loud. When Spencer said it, I had a momentary knot in my stomach. A hundred thoughts ran through my mind. 

Why didn't I suggest praying out loud first? This would have been a perfect teaching opportunity about faith. But what if we pray and it doesn't stop? What will Spencer think then? Will if affect his faith? What if he thinks God isn't listening? What if he begins to think praying doesn't work? Why am I doubting that it will stop. I'm not supposed to doubt. What if the seizure doesn't stop because of my doubt. I know God's spoken word plus faith has power. Just stand on what you believe. Stand on God's promises. How do I explain to him that God is in control of this even if the outcome isn't what we want it to be?

Of course all of these thoughts plus more went through my mind in just a second. Then Spencer, Greg, Mary Lyndsey and I held hands and began to pray out loud. We prayed that the seizure would stop. We prayed that he wouldn't have any more seizures. We took turns praying scripture out loud. Then... the seizure stopped.

Spencer said something at that moment that I think is profound for an 8 year old.

"My God is bigger than epilepsy." 

Wow. If we could all only see our God as bigger than whatever problem we are facing. If we all only stopped to pray out loud first and stand on His promises. If we all only had the faith of a child. Now that would be a miracle.

To read what Dictionary.Com has to say about miracles go here.
I also found this article very interesting. *I haven't examined this site completely so read with caution.

PS... We will be attending the National Epilepsy Walk this coming weekend so I will be posting information on epilepsy and our experiences for the next few days. I hope you will check back to learn more.

16 comments:

Lakeville Vertical said...

Spencer is so right. God is bigger than epilepsy! He has the power to stop those seizures in there tracks! I pray that his seizure control is better and that his life is not affected adversely by them. I've prayed with a group of women at bible study over a friend that was feeling a seizure coming on. God stopped it and it was amazing. I believe in prayer and miracles. Thank you for this great post!

Carol said...

Okay, I already knew the story from the seizure but reading again made me cry. The visual I got of your family holding hands, praying to stop that seizure was more than my eyes could hold in. This is good stuff, girl!

Beth Cotell said...

"My God is bigger than epilepsy."

It is amazing that your 8 year old understands the power of God! Thank you for such a thought provoking post!

And I think it is awesome that you believe and want to spread the word that He still performs miracles every day!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on miracles at Miracle Monday! Your thoughts and miracles are always appreciated and welcomed!

I will continue to pray for Spencer's healing.

Denise said...

Our God is much bigger than seizures, praying for you, and your family.

Kimberly said...

You have such an amazing son, Amy! How exciting to think of the plans God has for Him, even right now while he is only 8! :)
And thank you for the reminder that He is the same yesterday, today, and forever in every way!

Janet Roller said...

Wow~ Praise the Lord Who is STILL performing miracles!
-Janet

DeeBee said...

Your Spencer is very brave and inspiring. A lovely blog to read.

By the way, I received your chocolates that I won in your drawing last week. Thanks again!

Cheri said...

I cry everytime oyu write about Spencer and epilepsy. What profound moments in your life. It's amazing, truly amazing.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

That is so amazing! Thank you for sharing that! I really enjoyed reading your blog, I found you through Jenny's blog and I'm so glad I did!! Great stuff!!!

Missy said...

Wow, thru the power of the Holy Spirit, that little boy is going to change the world!!!

You are going to have to keep blogging now for the next 50 years so we can all be witness to it!!

Jenileigh said...

Fantabulous testimony!!!!!! I LOVED reading about it. Thank-you for sharing with brutal honestly your experience. This ole flesh will be gone one day! Hallelujah! Big hugs to you and yours!

ocean mommy said...

Oh Amy! This was so powerful. What does the Word say about a little child leading them???

Mindy said...

Wonderful post! I think it's so important for us to let children develop their faith, and not worry so much about the "what ifs" of it. Kids are much more open to God than we are.

Melanie said...

Out of the mouths of babes! Children can teach us so much about truly trusting God in everything.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this post! I always glean something great from your blog!!!

Jenny said...

That is great! Kids teach us so much more and they have an easier time with faith.

Lauren fell in our pool when she was 3 and almost died. I think I'll write on that Monday thanks for the idea. It was a huge miracle! I guess all miracles are huge though :)

I'll be praying for you all on the walk!


Jen