Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Shark and the Ship

I don't know how many of you reading this have children, but if you do... let me ask, do yours love the computer as much as mine? Spencer loves to play on the computer. If we have awarded him with computer time and we happen to be on the computer, he will stand over us in eager anticipation waiting on us to finish whatever we are working on so he can have his turn. He often reads my post or other's while he is standing over my shoulder.

He has become very interested in whatever I am posting. So interested in fact, that he has begun to give me ideas for things to write about. He is so sure there are millions of people reading my blog (site meter tells me otherwise LOL) and that it "will change the world." (That is a story for another time.) He will sometimes tell me an idea he has for what I should write about, and then he continues to ask if I have written it yet... over and over and over.... you get the point.

So this morning before school, he asked me for the umpteenth time if I had written about the shark and the ship yet.  Let me explain. He is very mature spiritually for his age. He comes up with some things that I truly marvel over sometimes. Those of you who know him personally will agree with me. He asks questions that are way beyond what most 8 year olds would ask about the Bible. Once he asked me if he had to pray for Satan since he is his enemy, and the Bible says we should pray for our enemies. He also asked if God created everything, then why did he create Satan in the first place? How would you answer those?

Anyway, a week or so ago, we were doing our morning devotions, and our conversation went something like this:
 
"Mom, is Jesus kind of like a ship and Satan kind of like a shark?" 

"I'm not sure what you mean Spencer."

"Well, you see, we really are just supposed to dive right  into the water, but sometimes we are afraid to do that because there might be a shark down there that wants to eat us. Then we need a ship to climb onto to keep us safe. So... Satan is kind of like a shark that wants to eat us and Jesus is our ship that keeps us safe when we need it."

"I guess you could look a it that way Spencer."

See what I mean. I don't know where he comes up with this stuff. But as I thought some more about what he said these two these things came to mind.






I guess he is right. We are supposed to dive right in. But there is an enemy that seeks to kill, steal from and destroy us. We know there is a shark out there and we let people swim unaware anyway. But we have a ship that is big enough to keep us all safe. We need to let people know about the ship and the shark.

So today when I pick him up from school and he asks "Mom did you write about the ship and the shark yet?" I can answer "Yes son, I did. And maybe it will help change the world." 





15 comments:

Celly B said...

Wow! That Spencer is a deep thinker! Aren't you blessed to have him asking you these questions and keeping you on your toes! I find that I think so much more deeply about things when I'm challenged by my children.

Ceci G. said...

What a sweetheart! I have really enjoyed reading your blog this week. I have failed on the energy level to do much writing this week, except as comments. I'm going to feel as though I have actually "done" something since I know that positive comments are encouragement, and God wants us to do that for our sisters.

Thanks for writing!

Carol said...

You tell Spencer that this was one of my favorite posts yet! I LOVED this! How true it is.

ocean mommy said...

That is a great word picture!

Van said...

I am beginnig to think that blogging for me is a way of remembering the joy of raising two little boys, now grown, and a reminder to stop and praise God for the wonderful lessons they taught me.Tell Spencer I like his ideas. He should give him mommy more ideas!

Cheri said...

I have a huge smile on my face. What an amazing young man you have there!

Satan ...you better watch out cuz' Spencer's on the loose and he's coming to get ya-- all in the name of Jesus!

Jenny said...

He is sharp!

Spencer, Great post! Thank you for sharing with me. Have a great night!

Jen

elizabeth embracing life said...

Wow! Sounds like the making of a children's book writer. Every boy across American would buy a book with a time like that "The Shark and the Ship". I am touched and impressed.

Janet Roller said...

So good. Ask him if he has anymore ideas! (Smile)
Wow - the Jaws clip really took on new meaning with the spiritual aspect intoduced. Convicting!

And Spencer's right - all of you Wyatt's probably will reach the world one day.
-Janet

Sita said...

Sounds like a budding C.S.Lewis there..have you read Narnia with him yet? My kids keep me on my toes too (-; Blessings..

Kimberly said...

Okay, reading your post is not me myself posting, so this comment is "legal". :)
This is absolutely amazing! I am blessed beyond words! Thank you, Spencer! And thank you, Amy! What a picture to hold on to!

Carol said...

That was really good. Definitely one of my favorites.
~Alan

Jenifer said...

Children always have a way of bringing things into perspective and keeping us on our toes. I always seem to learn so much through the eyes of my children.

Thanks Spencer!

Blessings,
Jenifer

Christina said...

Good questions from Spencer. Boy he really can make me think. No wonder you have such great blog material. You have a very insightful 8 year old to guide you. Happy Easter.

mama2dibs said...

Wow! I hope that my daughter has those kind of thoughts at that age. At the same time, only if it's from her heart and not her head. I am glad that God is so prevalent in your son's life.