Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Epilepsy Information

I wanted to take some time this week to share some information with you about epilepsy. Many people do not know very much about it. There is a great amount of misinformation and stigma attached to it. I hope you will take a few minutes to read through the links I am providing today.

Here are some facts about epilepsy:

*Epilepsy is the third most common neurological disorder in the US after Alzheimer's and stroke.

*It affects approximately 2,700,000 people in the US and 50,000,000 worldwide.

*This year another 200,000 people in the US will be diagnosed with epilepsy and and estimated 25,000 to 50,000 people will die of seizures and related causes.

*Of major chronic medical conditions, epilepsy is among the least understood even though one in three adults knows someone with the disorder.

*This information was taken from the Epilepsy Foundation. Click here for more information.

Click here to read an article in the New York Times about living with epilepsy.

Click here to see a list of famous people with epilepsy.

Spencer and I are very active in a group called Epilepsy Advocates. Last fall we filmed some webisodes for Epilepsy Awareness Month . Here is a You tube clip of the webisode I was part of. If you would like to view the entire video, go here. I am part of Webcast 3.






I hope you will find this information helpful and interesting.

7 comments:

Celly B said...

Great information, Amy! I enjoyed the webcast; you are a great speaker!

Carol said...

This was great information. I really enjoyed the NY Times article and the video from the article. It's a lot to learn. I pray that you and Spencer will continue to be a voice for those with epilepsy and Christ will reach others through you. Thank you for sharing this.

Cheri said...

Great information here.

I don't think I ever shared with you that my sister-in-law has epilepsy. It has a big affect on her life. She has had her driver's license taken away a few times and her children have had to watch as she has a seizure. Of course they try to move the children away so they don't have to be scared about what's going on with their mom.

It really takes it's toll on her.

Thanks for all the information and have an awesome time walking with Spencer this weekend. I'll be praying for you!

Christina said...

I went over and watched the webcasts and thought they were very informative and explained a lot about epilepsy. My 5 year old niece has epilepsy. I have 2 boys diagnosed ADHD and am always amazed at the similarities in Autism, ADHD, epilepsy and many of the other brain disorders. I wonder if they will ever find a direct link.

You were really good on the webcast. It is so neat to see someone you speak with through blogs actually talking about a subject they are passionate about. You are a great mom.

Kimberly said...

I am so glad you are sharing this information. I truly did not know much at all about epilepsy before "meeting" you.
I am blessed by how you glorify God even in facing all that you do with Spencer. You guys are an amazing family!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You are amazing and I am in awe that I have yet another celebrity friend! Ha. Seriously, you are doing amazing work. God is using you greatly.

Wifeof1Momof4 said...

Great job Amy! Keep sharing this information with people. More people NEED to know about this disease and how it can effect your daily life with your family.

GREAT JOB!