Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What You Do Matters

So today has been one of those totally crazy days where you feel like you hardly have 5 minutes to catch your breath. The nice thing about today, was that I focused on really trying to acknowledge God in everything, and even though it was crazy - it was smooth at the same time. My Frazzled Female study this week suggested to pray over every detail on your to do list before doing it. I am really big on making lists, but often times forget to turn control of the list over to Him. I know this in my head, but the action part is where I get into trouble. I forget that I make my plans, but I should allow Him to direct my steps. (Proverbs 16:9)
I often forget that Jesus was on the way to do something else on almost every encounter he had with someone that changed their life; and that he took the time to stop for a divine interruption - and the person's life was changed forever. How many blessings have I missed or caused someone else to miss because I wasn't willing to take the time to minister to them in the middle of my own plans?

I started taking a new Bible study today at church called You Matter More Than You Think by Dr. Leslie Parrot. I think the study is going to be great. The women really shared from their heart and I'm excited and expectant about what God is going to reveal over the next weeks through this study. The learning and encouragement already started today.

One of the points that the author makes in the first part of the book is that everything we do impacts others whether we realize it or not. That what we do - even the mundane things in life- can make a huge difference to another person. This was perfect timing for me. I mentioned in an earlier post that I have been struggling with knowing what my God given purpose in life is. I want to minister to others in a way that reflects the love of Jesus in my life and makes others want to know Him more. I have this dream or idea in my head that this will be through writing or a speaking ministry and still hope that happens someday. However, I've recently come to terms with the fact, that if it only means ministering to the people I encounter everyday that it's ok. That is my most important ministry. We often get so caught up in our plans for the future or even the next day that we don't take time to reflect Jesus and minister to others right in the moment we are in. I am trying to remember to live each moment through His strength, reflecting Him.

I was wondering to myself if I do enough of that on a day to day basis. Am I am encourager to others? Do the things I say to others and the actions I take reflect Christ in my life and make a difference? Do my actions and words point them to Jesus? As God always does, He knows when to send the right dose of encouragement. One of my dear friends called to talk, and in the course of the conversation told me that she had been influenced and impacted greatly by a conversation we had this summer and that it had directed some of her soul searching recently. Isn't that what we should all as Christians long to do? Point others to Jesus more. It was a refreshing word of affirmation (most definitely my love language) that was sweet to the soul (Proverbs 16:24) .

I am going to try to remember in my time spent with others, to allow Christ to control the details of my plans, welcome interruptions and hopefully be an encouragement that might be a life changing experience for someone else. The bonus I think is that the real life changing experience will be for me.

1 comment:

ocean mommy said...

Amy, this is so true. I think sometimes God wants to see us be faithful in the day to day, minute by minute ministry opportunities before He opens doors to anything we would consider "bigger". It's all about people, individuals, we can't forget that! Very challenging post!

blessings,
stephanie