Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Lucia is "the dog"

Hi friends. I just have a quick minute to post, but I wanted to let you know that Lucia is incredible. We have only been with her for a little over a week and tonight she alerted to a seizure before it happened. 

We were at dinner and I couldn't get her to settle down. She was pacing back and forth around the table and acting agitated. I asked one of the workers what she thought was going on. We assumed she might need to go outside to potty. We took her out and she didn't want to go and immediately went back toward the door. When we got in, she started pacing again. Then, about 15 minutes later, Spencer had a seizure. It didn't stop so we had to use the rescue medication. We practiced alerting with her and gave her treats. She didn't want to leave his side after it happened. She has been laying in the bed beside him since the seizure. Spencer is fine now by the way, just tired and sleepy from the meds.

It was so cool to know that she can sense a seizure. Now we just have to train her what to do when Spencer seizes. 

God is good and dog is good too.

Blessings to you. Will be back tomorrow to post some more pics and I have some awards I need to pass along. Please keep us in your prayers as we finish up camp this week.

Amy



16 comments:

Chaotic Joy said...

This is so awesome it gave me chills. What a blessing Lucia will be for Spence. Hurray.

Darlene said...

This is amazing! Sorry about the seizure but so glad Lucia is working out.
Praying for you...

Skoots1moM said...

Congratulations, Lucia, good job, girl!!!
Praying Spencer has a restful night...Mommy, too!

Addicted to Beadz said...

Amy,

How awesome that Lucia sensed when Spencer was going to have the seizure. What an absolute blessing this is.

Praying for ALL seizures to stop. God is able to accomplish this!

Blessings!
Cheryl

LAURIE said...

WOW! That is amazing to me. Sorry to hear of your son having another seizure but what a wonderful blessing this dog will be. Truly man's best friend! -blessings, Laurie

ocean mommy said...

I have chills. This dog is a gift from God!

Praying for a seizure free day.

steph.

Melissa in Mel's World said...

Oh my gosh Amy...that is so awesome (not about the seizure, but about the dog). Praise God for His goodness. I am glad to hear that Spencer is doing well.

Praying for you guys and celebrating too!

Marla Taviano said...

That is absolutely unreal. I love Lucia already!

Hey, you won 5th place in my give-away! The first 4 winners chose their books. There are still a few good ones for you to choose from. Congrats!

Jenifer said...

Oh Amy! I am so excited for you and your family. God is so good to provide what we need. What a blessing to have Lucia in your family. I pray that she will be a lifelong companion for Spencer and great detector of sorts.

When you get a chance stop by By His Grace I have something that I'd like to honor you with.

Blessings,
Jenifer

Drew, Amber and Anna Kate said...

Amazing! I can't wait to meet her! I put som enew pictures on the blog of anna kate and mary lyndsey. They are so cute!See ya'll this weekend!

Andrea @ Mommy Snacks.net said...

Amy, that is so cool to hear. I hope Lucia continues to do well for little Spencer!!

Amy L. said...

Amy, I have GLORY-BUMPS!!! I'm so thankful Spencer is ok. Lucia rocks!!! Praying for continued blessings throughout the remainder of the week!!!

Wifeof1Momof4 said...

That is sooo comforting to hear. God is good. Glad to know Spencer is doing well now.

Sita said...

Wow..sorry about the seizure but awed at God's creation..a dog named Lucia with senses attuned to your son, Spencer...wow...

elizabeth embracing life said...

Wow, this is just so amazing. What a blessing to have this kind of animal being used for your son. And I thought God just used ordinary people.

Kimberly said...

I didn't have time to leave a comment last night, but as soon as I got done reading this post, I had to tell my husband! I was just so excited for you that this sweet dog is doing her job and also loving your sweet Spencer!

Keeping you all in my prayers!
Love,
K