Saturday, March 28, 2009

Then Sings My Soul Saturday - Here I am

Spencer and I are finally in Washington, DC for the National Epilepsy Walk. We had a little bit of a rough time getting here but we made it. Our first flight was cancelled this morning. Then our second flight was delayed. Then we sat on the runway forever before we took off. 
Upon arrival, we checked in and decided to get some dinner. We walked a few blocks to a restaurant where the waitress spilled two full drinks on me. I was soaked from head to toe - not the greatest day.

As I sat there dripping I thought, I have two choices. I can be really mad and behave very poorly, or I can reflect Christ. I decided to show forgiveness. The funny part was the people sitting around me couldn't believe I responded the way I did. They kept saying things like, "you are being too nice." "I would be really mad."

The manager gave us our meal and a gift card for later and offered to pay for my dry cleaning. I tipped the waitress and told her not to worry about it, that I had spilled my share of food on customers when I was waiting tables in college. As I left, I thought about what the people sitting around me thought. They had seen us pray over our food, then they had seen me show kindness and forgiveness.  What if I had over reacted and been cruel to the waitress? What would people have thought then? 

Every encounter we have with others gives us the opportunity to show the love of Christ. All of our life should be an offering. He can use everything in His plan. 

I love this song by Downhere. It has great lyrics. I have often thought of it with big issues or challenges in life, but it also applies to the little things - things like being kind to a waitress who spills a drink on your head.  He has sent us into the world to be His representatives - to reflect Him and His love and forgiveness.

Will you say "Here I am, Lord send me?"


Sometimes your calling, comes in dreams
Sometimes it comes in the Spirit's breeze,
You reach for the deepest hope in me,
And call out for the things of eternity.

But I'm a man, of dust and stains,
You move in me, so I can say,

Here I am, Lord send me,
All of my life, I make an offering,
Here I am, Lord send me,
Somehow my story is part of your plan,
Here I am

When setbacks and failures, and upset plans,
Test my faith and leave me with empty hands,
Are you not the closest when it's hardest to stand?
I know that you will finish what you began.

These broken parts you redeem,
Become the song, that I can sing

Overwhelmed by the thought of my weakness,
And the fear that I'll fail you in the end,
In this mess, I'm just one of the pieces, 
I can't put this together but you can

Here I am, Lord send me,
All of my life, I make an offering.
Here I am, Lord send me,
Somehow my story is part of your plan,
Here I am.

Sweet Blessings,
Amy


23 comments:

Karen said...

What wonderful words! I especially liked the the last part - "Somehow my story is part of your plan,Here I am." I needed that reminder...

Mocha with Linda said...

No Mr. Linky?

The ones from previous weeks are still there.

Love the new blog look! And I love your song for this week.

Alicia The Snowflake said...

I love that song! I also love your new look! Very pretty!

Debra Kaye said...

May the Lord bless your time in DC and I'm quite sure the waitress will never forget you and will want some of that Jesus!

Blessings to you! And again, thanks for being our host!

Cathy said...

I believe God's gift of patience was there for you, Amy. Thanks for that song I have not heard before.

Cathy said...

And oh, I forgot to say, your blog looks very pretty!

Christina said...

I'll bet you being so nice to that waitress had a big affect on her in a positive way. If you had been mad it might of affected her the other way, negatively.

Great video choice.

GodsOwn/Bernice said...

You let me hear a new song with so true lyrics.
Thanks for hosting

Debbie Petras said...

Life can be difficult at times. I love that you made the choice to respond in love. Sometimes, we may be the only Jesus that people get to see. May the Lord bless you.

Tammy said...

First, love the new look! Second, what a great opportunity to show the love of Christ and let your light shine. Praise God! Love that song!!!

Darlene said...

Love the new blog look. I have not heard the song before. Perfect choice with your post!

Susanne said...

Thank you so much for sharing this story and the song! This song was especially meaningful to me a few months ago when we were trying to live by faith vs. fear in our preparations for a trip to Damascus, Syria.

And I LOVED your story! Even though you were miserable and had every "right" (ahem) to be angry at the waitress, your *choosing* to be forgiving and act like Christ was a fantastic testimony! I know people are used to anger so for someone to act with mercy ... it speaks volumes! :-D

HeartSong said...

Glad you guys finally made it to D.C. safely! You are in our thoughts and prayers! Your response to the drink spills reminded me of this verse.....The Lord is gracious and full of compassion, Slow to anger and Great in mercy. The Lord is good to all and His tender mercies are over All His works. Psalm
145:8,9 NKJV I am sure that God is smiling over you just as we do when Spencer and Myles respond from the Spirit of God within them rather than their carnal nature! Much Love, Tina :o)

Deborah said...

I may be confused, thought I posted already...but I was rushed this morning, it may not have saved. I love the look of your blog. Hope you enjoy the song I put up.

Angela said...

I didn't even realize I never commented to you..oh my goodness, the precious sister that has radically blessed me each Saturday in starting this Meme..((hugs))

I just got back home from standing on the side of the road. One of our soldiers have come home. His body did. We are Canadian. From Toronto Ontario, to his home town Port Col borne, an hour and a half away, people have stood on the side of the road, to stand for this family in support, respect, and love as they traveled to lay their beloved one's body to rest.

Unknown said...

Wow what a wonderful story to go along with one of my favorite songs. Hope the rest of your time in DC goes a little better.

Kimberly said...

First, your blog looks so pretty!
Second, I am praying for you and Spencer as you are in Washington.
Lastly, what a great post! I know that waitress was blessed by the mercy you showed her.

Have you read the Proverbs31 Woman magazine for this month? There is actually an article about a woman and her daughter who were kind to a waiter who spilled salsa on the mom. They even went and bought him a new shirt because he had gotten salsa on himself, too.

Thanks for being such a humble and sweet ambassador for Christ!
Love to you,
K

Anonymous said...

Great song! Great witness! Praise God!

Love you lady! Thanks for sharing!

you gotta wonder said...

Thank you for sharing this story. I wrote "I choose joy!" on the whiteboard in my cube. Everytime someone brings me a complaint I point out our choice in reacting.

I've heard this song on the radio, and knew the refrain, but I am so glad to come to appreciate all of the lyrics. Great song for your message today.

LA Nickers said...

ILLOGICAL IDEALS AND SUPPOSITIONS OF THE SEASONS – winter’s last laugh

seesawfaith said...

Great song!

I hope it's ok I am sooooo late! I was at a conference this weekend and so didn't get to post on the correct day.

You story is most assuredly part of the plan.

God bless!

seesawfaith said...

Boo! I forgot to tell you I love the new look! Very spring-ish and refreshing. :)

Rita T. said...

Great song and great message. May we who call ourselves Christians be willing to serve.