Wednesday, October 8, 2008

If you don't really want to know the answer... don't ask your kids.

This morning as we were getting ready for school I casually asked Mary Lyndsey if I'm a good mommy. Heavens, I don't know why I asked this.  Maybe it's because I recently read Lysa TerKeurst's post about good mom, bad mom. Anyway, I wondered how my five year old would answer and the curiosity got the better of me. 

Here is what she said: " You are good when you let me do what I want to do, but when you yell or make me follow the rules you're not so good."

Hmmm... I wonder if this is sometimes how I feel about my Heavenly Father. My human nature wants to do what I want to do. And when He doesn't allow it or disciplines me, then I sometimes wonder about His goodness.

Friends, God is Good. All the time God is good. He only disciplines because He wants what is best for me. Sometimes I am hardheaded (read stiff necked)  and don't listen... during those moments, it may seem like He has to yell to get my attention. If I had only done what He asked in the first place and didn't always have delayed obedience, things would run much more smoothly I think.

When I reminded Mary Lyndsey of all of the wonderful things I do for her and provide for her (you know like taking her to Build-a-Bear and Olive Garden for her birthday, making her chocolate cupcakes, playing Hungry Hungry Hippos - things that rank way up there on the list for a five-year-old) she said she forgot I did all those good things. Then she said, maybe you are a good mommy.

I'm signing off now to go list in my journal all the good things God has done for me, His bountiful blessings, to remind me how good He is. I don't want to forget them.

Psalm 100:5  For the Lord is good and His love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.

Sweet Blessings,
Amy

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love this, Amy. How quickly we can be like our children and forget the blessings that have been poured out on us. We learn SOOOO much from being parents, don't we?

Blessings, sweet friend.
Love,
K

Skoots1moM said...

forever God is faithful
forever God is strong
forever God is with us, forever, and ever....
great post!
we most certainly should concentrate on the good everyday, and more often throughout the day

come visit, any time!

Ika Devita Susanti said...

Very nice sharing sister. and i am sorry that I was laughing when i read Lyndsey's answer... and read your title again.

Have a great day!

Wifeof1Momof4 said...

I just had this same conversation at my house, although I did not solicit the answer, Ethan volunteered .. but it was good we had the conversation so I could remind him of just what you posted today.

Janet Roller said...

I love/hate it when you can hear God's message in your children's voice. The Lord is good and His love endures forever.
-Janet

God's girl said...

That was a sweet post! If it helps I get the same answer. :)
Much love,
Angela

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Thanks for your touching comment on my TT post. I didn't realize sharing that story would touch so many people, so I know the Lord is at work. I'm excited to join TSMS this week too, I always visit and enjoy it so much.

Blessings,
Susan

Jamey said...

My first TSMSS! what a great I dea! thanks!