Saturday, June 6, 2009

Then Sings My Soul Saturday - Johnny Diaz

One day this week, I was helping Mary Lyndsey (my 5 year old) get dressed. Out of the blue she asked, "Mommy, do you think I'm fat?" I couldn't believe it! At five she is already starting to notice the hype about body image. She is not even 40 pounds soaking wet. She is not fat! We had a discussion about how beautiful she is and that we want to be healthy, but not overly concerned with weight.
I also have a friend who has a five year old. Recently, she overheard her five year old and my five year old having a conversation. Apparently, her daughter is concerned about all the hair on her legs. She thinks it's too dark and doesn't like it. She was telling Mary Lyndsey she thought it made her look like a boy - to which Mary Lyndsey responded... "You don't look like a boy, you look like a princess!"
Gotta love it when your friends support you - even at five! :-)
But in all seriousness, I hope these girls really do believe they are princesses. Because they are... they are daughters of the Almighty King. He created each of them uniquely to fulfill their own special purpose. It'll be difficult to make them believe this as they get older.
I heard this song on the radio this week and it made me ponder how I will get message across in the future.


Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! And remember... there could never be a more beautiful you!

For some reason, the video is cutting of half the pictures, so I am posting the lyrics too!

Little girl fourteen flipping through a magazine Says she wants to look that way But her hair isn’t straight her body isn’t fake And she’s always felt overweight
Well little girl fourteen I wish that you could see That beauty is within your heart And you were made with such care your skin your body and your hair Are perfect just the way they are
There could never be a more beautiful you Don’t buy the lies disguises and hoops they make you jump throughYou were made to fill a purpose that only you could do So there could never be a more beautiful you
Little girl twenty-one the things that you’ve already doneAnything to get ahead And you say you’ve got a man but he’s got another plan Only wants what you will do instead
Well little girl twenty-one you never thought that this would come You starve yourself to play the part But I can promise you there’s a man whose love is trueAnd he’ll treat you like the jewel you are
So turn around you’re not too far To back away be who you areTo change your path go another wayIt’s not too late you can be savedIf you feel depressed with past regretsThe shameful nights hope to forgetCan disappear they can all be washed awayBy the one who’s strong can right your wrongsCan rid your fears dry all your tearsAnd change the way you look at this big worldHe will take your dark distorted viewAnd with His light He will show you truth And again you’ll see through the eyes of a little girl

Sweet Blessings,

Amy


7 comments:

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

Great song and so true. I volunteer at my sons school and you would not believe some of the conversations I hear from k-3 girls about thier wieght and how they look.

Angela said...

You were the first person I thought of when the music started to blare in the truck this morning. I KNEW I had to link up with you today...blessing sis...

Molly said...

Gosh that is a beautiful song. Thanks so much for posting it.

I have been so bad about playing STMSS lately, now that soccer is done for a bit, maybe I can play ever-now and then ;)

Kimberly said...

What a beautiful song. I pray that my girls will know how beautiful the Lord has created them...that He loves them just as they are.

This is a song we mommy's need to grasp, too! I know I've been feelin' a bit frustrated with my outward appearance lately. But my Father, He created me and He finds me beautiful. If only we ALL would believe that...instead of getting so wrapped up in weight, skin, hair, and on and on.

Thanks for sharing!

Shonda said...

Hey Amy!
How are you?
Blessings to you in Christ our Lord.
Shonda

Kathryn @ Expectant Hearts said...

I LOVE that song.. it's so beautiful and true. IT's sad what our society/culture does to young woman these days. (And old woman too actually)

Sunshinelene said...

nice nice song! And i always believe that true beauty is not the outward appearance but it's what radiates from theheart. :)

Mine is now up here - http://thecallingttw.blogspot.com/2009/06/great-is-thy-faithfulness.html