Monday, December 10, 2007

I'm Back...At least for this post

So I know it has been forever since I posted. I told you guys back in September though that the first of October would start a downhill ball rolling so fast that I wouldn't be able to keep up... and it did. November came and went so fast and here it is almost half way way through December already. Where did the time go?

In November, both kids were sick and Thanksgiving traveling happened. Then, poof the month was gone. We did get an entire week off school for Thanksgiving which was glorious... but we traveled the whole time. I am just now catching up with the laundry.

I kept reading all these posts about all the things that everyone was thankful for and I really had lots of thoughts about all of the many things that I am thankful for too, but I never got them put down on paper or on the computer screen. Maybe next year.

December has also been very busy. We finally got the Christmas trees up this past weekend, a job that I have been trying to complete since the day after Thanksgiving. We have already had tons of birthday parties, Christmas parties, special church programs and musicals to attend this month - about 12 I think and since it is just the 10th, that tells you how busy we have been.

In the midst of all of the running around though, I have really tried to stay focused on the true meaning of Christmas and to emphasize it to my children too. I don't want the month of December to feel so hurried and rushed that I miss it. I already feel like I sort of missed Thanksgiving. I want to savor the sweetness of the holidays and the wonders of His love and linger in this special time of year.

So, I am hoping the next two weeks will slow down and we will just enjoy sitting around the living room with the lights down and the Christmas tree lights twinkling, baking cookies and filling the house with their sweet aroma and wrapping gifts to put under the tree. Maybe even doing some shopping, but not with a list. Just shopping to enjoy the decorations and the people watching and the Christmas music playing in the background.
And, watching Christmas movies - It's a Wonderful Life is my favorite. And of course, we have to watch A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolf, Frosty and The Grinch and throw in a little The Santa Clause 1, 2 and 3 and Home Alone. I could probably watch movies from now until Christmas.

Also, I want to spend some more time just talking about the true Christmas story with my Children. We are reading several story book versions and starting Adornaments on the 12th.
Our pastor has been talking about Christmas traditions during church, and one of ours is to record one of the grandparents reading the Christmas story from the Bible and The Night Before Christmas each year with our kids. It is neat to go back and look at those videos and see how much they have grown. Watching those videos really makes you feel like time flies.

And, it is flying right now. I've got to get ready for tomorrow. I hope to stay a little more current with posts for the rest of the month... but I'm not promising anything.

Sweet Blessings,
Amy

No comments: